Monday, July 2, 2012

and so it begins... (plus house update)

July....

Today begins what will be an incredibly stressful month.  We dropped Will off at the airport this morning and will not see him again until the evening of July 26th.  He is in Atlanta this week, Friday he leaves for Paris, the Friday after that London, then back to Paris.  He will be working like crazy to try to meet a deadline for go live on his current project.  While he is away, I will be....

* a single mom with very few breaks.  Grandma is helping me out some, though.  Not sure what I'd do without such great grandparents for my babies.

* Closing on a house.  Will signed his life away to me this past Friday.  I now have a power of attorney while he is out of the country.  What will I do with such power??  Oh, I don't know, maybe spend a ton of money on a house.  We had our punch walk last Friday and went through the whole house trying to identify any issues.  On Monday the 9th, I will walk through and make sure they are all completed.  I will also receive an orientation on the house.  There aren't that many fancy electronics or anything, but small things like how to program the A/C and an intro to the tankless water heater.  Then on Friday the 13th (hopefully not an ominous sign:)), I will sign for both Will and I and officially buy our house.   This is terrifying.  It is bad enough that we are buying a house and acquiring debt again.  We have rented for the past 5 years ish and haven't had any big numbers that we owe.  Now we will have a big number again.  I hate that!  You add too that the fact that I will be doing this on my own and I am more terrified.

* Move into said house.  We won't likely be able to move in until Will is back.  This means that I will get to disappoint the kids regularly by saying "no, we can't sleep at the new house tonight."  It also means that I need to get started moving what I can move.  We want to be out of the rental by the end of August at the very latest.  We downsized a lot on the move from Oregon, but we want to downsize even further.  Make sure that we only take what we need/want to the new house.  No extras.  Our goal is and has been to live more simply.  Our hope is that the new house actually make it easier to do so.  You see, the new house is so incredibly beautiful that it stands on its own.  Seriously, if we didn't decorate a single bit, you would still walk into this house and say "WOW."  That said, every picture or decoration or piece of furniture that is in there, we want to be deliberate, purposeful.  I will be trying to pare down our belongings until Will returns.  I can't move the big stuff and if I start moving small stuff, I won't have what I need to cook or do something in the house I am out.

* Homeschool.  We will be continuing homeschooling during this time too.  I don't want to take a huge break for the month.  I want to keep them going on at least their Reading/Spelling/Comp Tech and math lessons.  This won't be easy in July with everything else going on.  I also have a teacher training that I am participating in next week for three days.  I think all in all we only have 8 full school days in July with nothing else going on!  It's going to be crazy!

* Trip to Oregon.  Mom and the kids and I are heading to Oregon for a long weekend on the 19th.  We were supposed to take this trip back in January, but Clare got sick and I was not far removed from the broken ankle, so it didn't work out.  Brooke and Caleb are so excited to go back.  I, however, am very nervous for them.  Time (almost exactly a year) has gone by.  Friends have changed.  The school has changed.  They expect it to be the same and as perfect as they remember it in their little minds.  I fear they will be disappointed.  I hope that they won't be.  We did make some pretty amazing friends in Oregon.  Hopefully, it will be a lovely reunion.

* Survive....

No comments:

Post a Comment